Before you begin to read Confucius quotes, you might consider reading a brief description of the author. You can also jump directly to Confucius Quotes
Confucius was born in 551 BC in the State of Lu, an ancient state of China. He is considered a great philosopher and teacher in shaping human history. Just like the majority of the philosophers Confucius too began his journey doing normal jobs. He had done various kinds of jobs that include being a shepherd and clerk. After years of a struggle doing normal jobs, eventually, Confucius started working as a governor of a small town and finally worked his way up being a top advisor to the Chinese Government. However, at the age of 51, Confucius decided to quit his job because he was not happy with the way the government. In his later years, he traveled across China teaching his principles and philosophy which later came to be known as Confucianism.
Some of the basic principle ideology of Confucianism are:
- Importance of family and the respect towards ancestors.
- Importance of good manners and following daily rituals.
- Treating others with kindness.
- Qualities of integrity, righteousness, altruism, goodness, and loyalty make a true man.
- Importance of a strong, ethical and organized central government.
Confucius Quotes: 25 Best quotes of Confucius quotes:
- By three methods we may learn wisdom; First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
- The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential.. these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.
- The superior man is modest in his speech but exceeds in his actions.
- It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
- To see what is right and not to do it is want of courage, or of principle.
- The superior man acts before he speaks and afterward speaks according to his action.
- When you know a thing, to hold that you know it, and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it – this is knowledge.
- To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge.
- The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.
- The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell.
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness.
- If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; and if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.
- It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. all good things are difficult to achieve, and bad things are very easy to get.
- What you do not want to be done to yourself, do not do to others.
- When anger rises, think of the consequences.
- The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability, he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability he has.
- Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation, there is sure to be a failure.
- The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.
- In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of.
- When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.
- The superior man thinks always of virtue; the common man thinks of comfort.
- I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. But when I do and I understand.
- Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
- Instead of being concerned that you have no office, be concerned to think about how you may fit yourself for office. Instead of being concerned that you are not known, seek to be worthy of being known.
Feeling Inspired by these Confucius quotes? Share it with the people around. In addition, you may also follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for visual inspiration. Also, let us know in the comment section about the quote that inspires and resonates with you.
Happy a blessed day. Happy Sharing.
Likewise, you may also find other philosopher’s Quotes. Here’s the link: Quotes by Philosophers.
Disclaimer: Pic used in the image is credited to Wikipedia Commons